Friday, October 01, 2004

Range Report - Taurus Model 94

While I have shot a few .22 handguns, this is the first one I've owned. A couple of weeks ago, I took it to the range (Angeles Shooting Range) for its first outing.

It was very windy and the range office wasn't letting any handgun targets out on the line, since they would just blow away. So I was limited to the steel silhouttes at the left end of the line.

What a blast! I'd been concerned about the grip on the gun, which was just a little short for my hand, as well as the stiffness of the action in double-action, but once I loaded that little gun up with nine rounds of .22 LR and started squeezing off shots, I just had a big smile on my face.

This is definitely the way to go for a first gun: Small, simple, minimal recoil ("bang! pfft" in the hand). And accurate enough to reach out and touch those silhouettes ("ping!") when I did my part.

Since then, I've swapped out the factory grips for a set of Uncle Mike's rubber grips that are just longer enough that my whole hand curls around it.

This little gun is a definite keeper, and I'll be on the lookout for another one, or the Model 96, a K-22 clone. What I'd really like, of course, is a Model 94 with a 6" barrel--hmm, I wonder if anyone's selling just barrels, somewhere on the web...

No comments: