Sunday, December 19, 2004

Guns: New Toy, Part III

Ah, a range report. I took the new gun--the Yugoslavian SKS--out to Angeles Range today for its maiden outing, and survived.

Why survived? Because the flinkin' op-rod insisted on sticking out after every shot, turning my 10-round semi-automatic rifle into a singleshot!

On the plus side, no slam fires from a too-extended firing pin, so...I'll count my blessings.

I did find someone else at the range with an SKS and chatted with him about removing the gas tube (yeah, I'm doing it the right way, it just won't come off) and how my op-rod is sticking out.

So, shooting Wolf 123-grain FMJ at 25 yards, I killed that cardboard backer!

Hit the targets?

Uh...no. A few wild rounds hit the black on one target, all in the white on the other.

Same thing again at 50 yards. But I did ring the gong at 100 yards. Once.

Rifle marksmanship is a new skill for me to master, and the SKS isn't really the best rifle to practice that one. But it's what I've got, so it's back to the range for me on Monday (and Tuesday and Wednesday and Thursday!).

No comments: