Thursday, September 04, 2008

A Melange

First day of school! First day of school!

Ah...Samantha went back to school this morning. She's a second-grader this year, in a different classroom with a different teacher. She had the same teacher for K/1, and that was very good for her. New room, new teacher--I'll just have to wait and see how it goes for her. May have to spring into action, hmm.

Inasmuch as she's the Republican VP nominee, I should say something about Sarah Palin, governor of Alaska and mother of five. I was excited by the announcement of McCain's choice; now, I'm not so excited. McCain chose her because she would energize the base, but not overshadow him as President.

Plus, like it or not (and I don't), she is a politician. Which means when she's not kissing babies, she's stealing their lollipops. I'm thrilled that she's a life-member of the NRA; how much that'll mean to me, to others, to anyone, nobody knows.

Finally hit the range today! Came home from taking Samantha to school, cleaned the Marlin downstairs (ran a Boresnake through it, then a wet patch, couple of dry patches, finally an oily patch) and it was off to Angeles Shooting Range with a box of Federal (40 rounds?!? Cheapskate bastards...) and thirty rounds from a box of CCI Mini-Mags.

The rifle stovepiped (jammed) a couple of times with the Federal, and I had to wiggle the stuck cases out with a punch I happened to have in my range bag. Ran just fine with the Mini-Mags and I had fun banging away at the steel silhouettes. Maybe I should've done more, but I shot as much as I wanted to, packed up, came home...and cleaned the gun again. A very mellow experience.

And silver's under $13! And gold's under $800! And gas in our neighborhood is holding steady at $3.859!

But when is this heat ever going to break?!? I'm so tired of it being hot hot hot every single day!

No comments: